The 2024 Grammys red carpet became a hot topic of conversation after Bianca Censori, wife of rapper Kanye West, made a bold fashion statement in a completely sheer dress.
The controversial appearance drew mixed reactions, with some praising her daring style and others questioning the appropriateness of the outfit for the prestigious event.
Raj Kapoor, the executive producer of the Grammys telecast, weighed in on the controversy during an interview with People magazine, shedding light on the event’s dress code and the couple’s presence at the ceremony.
Kapoor explained that the Recording Academy’s dress code for the Grammys is “artistic black-tie,” but he acknowledged that in the music industry, such guidelines are often open to interpretation.
“Obviously, there is a dress code for anybody actually performing on the show that we have to adhere to standards and practices. But as far as people attending and nominees attending, that would be something the Academy would have to answer,” Kapoor said. He also clarified that West and Censori were not assigned seats at the ceremony, suggesting that their primary purpose was to make a red carpet appearance.
West, who was nominated for Best Rap Song for “Carnival” from his Vultures 1 album, and Censori certainly succeeded in turning heads. However, their presence at the event was short-lived.
Initial reports speculated that the couple had been removed from the Grammys due to Censori’s revealing outfit, but a source later confirmed to Us Weekly that they had left voluntarily.
“He is a master of publicity stunts,” the insider said. “He knows how to stay in the game.” The source added that West had no intention of staying for the main event, as his goal was to make a statement on the red carpet and then attend his after-party.
West himself addressed the controversy on Tuesday, telling photographers outside a recording studio, “Ask me how it was to beat the Grammys. We beat the Grammys,” per TMZ